Pages

Friday, December 30, 2011

I RESOLVE…

Every year I try not to make resolutions because ultimately it just leads to me failing on paper. That’s not my style. Plus, it gives Drew (husband) a chance to say “I told you so”. Again, not my style. Besides, that’s my job.

I know 2012 will have a lot in store for our family with a new baby, careers, a future nephew on the way, multiple friends popping out spawn. This can only mean that if I don’t change with the times, then I will fail in the future. With that, I want to set goals that are SMART and realistic (specific, measurable, actionable, reasonable, and time-bound). So I resolve to…

GRETA’S 2012 RESOLUTION LIST

Lose Baby Weight
This has got to go. Seriously, I like my old clothes. The overall goal is 40 pounds by next December. My path to success for this is a three pronged plan:
  1. Exercise... which means compete in the “Biggest Loser” competition at the Community Center. There is money involved. I’m a fierce competitor. Enough said. This includes a personal trainer, unlimited classes, unlimited gym, and a physical.
  2. Portion Control. Hello Healthy Choice packaged foods! Who needs Nutri System when you can go to the local grocery freezer section? I would say “fresh produce” but that would go bad since I’m the only one who eats fruits and vegetables in our house.
  3. More Water, Less Caffeine. I’m an addict. This needs to stop. Once I had Cate in September, it’s like my mind said “NO MORE LIMITATIONS ON CAFFEINE!” I think I’ve had about a pot of coffee per day since then. Maybe not everyday, but regardless, it’s too much.
Think Positive, Judge Less
I need serious inspiration and motivation, constantly. There are a few blogs and sites that I read on a regular basis to keep me engaged and focused so I don’t turn into a whiny hypochondriac depressed about someone else’s greener grass. I think it’s true that being a hater makes you sad. So here are my happy go-tos. Feel free to suggest others.

  1. The first one is The Positivity Blog. It’s a very simple blog by Henrik Edberg. While his editing skills don’t pay bills, his elementary approach to positivism are fantastic, quick reminders for me.
  2. Being a secular humanist, I prefer to have peer reviewed research to back up beliefs. I refer to FYI Living a lot, specifically the separate sections on mind, body, and diet. Most recently I read the article “Frustrated Achievers” Can’t Appreciate Life’s Successes which concluded that money is insufficient for the improvement of life satisfaction if one does not have good health, a satisfactory job, happy marriage, and a good social life. Lack of these results in “frustrated achievement.”
  3. Another blog I read is Gimme Bliss by Tiffany Hamburger. She’s a mom who is a simple, straight shooter providing life advice. Nothing more, nothing less.
More Photos, Better Quality
Okay, so I’ve never taken any photography classes. Ever. I would love to learn more since I love being an amateur. Cheers to finding the time to fit this one in the list!


My goal is to read the digital photography book that Drew apparently bought me a few years ago. I had forgotten this existed. Then again, maybe he didn’t tell me it existed. Hopefully I can finish 5 chapters by June.


Other People’s Projects
I’m already lining these up for the year! The objective is to help family and friends with their projects and give back. Hopefully in return they will help me with mine. These include cleaning out basements, organizing kitchens and closets, painting, scanning photos from the 1970s… This will work out very easily if there is wine involved. Hint Hint.


My goal is 8 projects this year. January and February are already booked! Send me your projects and dates so I can check availability now!


Voice-Over Vision
I’ve wanted to be a voice actor since high school. While I sometimes chose a different fork in the road to travel down over the past 14 years, I’ve decided to “Just Do It” and start this up. 


Keep in mind; I’m not quitting my day job.


Steps in the Process:
  1. Refer to The Voice Over Guide
  2. Register for Voice 123 so I start receiving leads (already done)
  3. Set-up computer (in process)
  4. Make contacts (in process)
  5. Record demo
  6. Buy microphone and additional sound equipment as needed
  7. Create sound booth in basement
My goal is to provide product no later than September 2012, if not sooner! Look out!


Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment