Pages

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Pigskin: My Current Fantasy

Yesterday, I took a major step in my fun-time to mommy to work ratio. I am happy that I'm going BIG with it. I created a Fantasy Football League for the first time. Have I ever played Fantasy Football? No. Have I played Fantasy Pick'em? Yes. My goal is to learn the game and kick some arse.

BE A PART OF THE TRIBE
Two of the great things about joining a group is connecting with new people and having a fun time with a shared interest. Not only that, you earn recognition and have a great sense of belonging to others. I've always wanted to play Fantasy Football. As the non-athletic kid in the family, I wanted to play sports in general, but sucking got in the way. Yes - it's true. I sucked at sports. I'll give myself some credit. I tried volleyball (decent), soccer (decent fullback), softball (sucked), and basketball (what the hell was my mom thinking when she signed me up for that one?).

That doesn't mean, though, that I didn't like sports growing up. I loved football and soccer. I can be entertained by baseball - or at minimum the people watching. Basketball - ugh. No thanks.

What draws me to Fantasy Football is the creation process, the ownership of a team and making them successful, the decision making process and strategy behind putting the right player in at the right time, and the business/leadership aspect of building a team.  I also want to have fun during a dreary time of year, and I want to connect and interact with other people.

LEARN SOMETHING
Lately, I've been stuck in a personal rut. I'm still adjusting to motherhood which in turn makes me confused about what "fun" is supposed to be now. I am BORED and not challenged at home. I have a TON going on at work and at home. I learn at work. I don't learn at home. So when I get home, I go through motions. Feed the baby, feed yourself, change the baby, play with the baby, do laundry, vacuum, change baby, play with baby, wash kitchen floor, do the dishes, feed the baby.... Don't get me wrong - I love being a mom, which has it's own greatness and challenges. But at the same time, I want to learn something new.

Here are my lonely hobbies. I read. I take photography classes and take lots of photos. I watch movies and documentaries. I garden. I listen to music. I walk and workout.

Here are my people-interactive hobbies... golf, corn hole, swing dancing, blogging.

Here are my aspiration hobbies... crochet/knitting, guitar, piano, FANTASY FOOTBALL.

The point is: I need to learn, absorb, grow as a person, and the best way that I do that is by interacting with people.

FEED MY COMPETITIVE NATURE
I've taken lots of personality tests - no, not just the ones on Facebook.Clifton's StrengthFinders and Myers-Briggs both say I'm a driven analytic, with a futuristic, over-achiever mind set mixed with a responsible nature that has lots of WOO, extraversion, and judging. Yes - I judge. Not gonna lie.

That cocktail leads to competition. GAME ON! Bring it. Let's go head to head.   

CONCERNS
I'm now commissioner of a league. Even before I started a Fantasy Football league, I was concerned about the time commitment involved, which is why I only did Pick'em last year - which was the first time. I'm also concerned about ignoring family, not being a great mom and wife, and potentially not keeping up with my home responsibilities. But then the other part of me says that I need an outlet to grow, learn, and have fun. that must be the devil

What are your current hobbies that take a lot of time commitment? Do you feel guilty? I know I have an issue with that. 

However, Fantasy Football wins this year. We'll reevaluate this project in February 2013. Must be the devil. Stay tuned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment