Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2012

Remembering The Original Plan

I had brunch with a close friend of mine today. We were in deep conversation about our lives as new moms and our busy careers when I randomly changed the subject to how I am no where what I set out to become after I finished high school.


Even after college, my singing/entertainment management plan didn't come to fruition. Yes, I wanted to work in the hotel industry - but it wasn't so I could stay in St. Louis forever. Alas, my six year stint in hotels taught me a lot about sales, service, people - good and bad, noble and shady. More shady than anything.


That started my mind wandering into the once upon a time jobs I dreamed of that would take me away, make me famous, or allow me to move quickly up the ladder of significance.


I've had roughly 16 jobs since I was 19. Maybe three of them were close to getting in a path of reaching one of my dream jobs. I started college with the plan to sing and get into entertainment management. What happened? Ugh - a boy. That happened a lot.


Singing on the Jumbo-tron at the TWA Dome (Edward Jones Dome) - 1997
JOBS I WANTED TO DO...
NOT SO RANDOM OR FAR OFF FROM ORIGINAL PLAN
  1. Voice-over and jingle writer
  2. Singer - Combination of Sara Bareillis, Adele, Melissa Etheridge, Billie Holliday, Black Crowes, The Black Keys, Pink Floyd back-up singer
  3. Stage Manager -> Director -> Producer -> Big Cheese
  4. Personal Assistant for a Cool Person
  5. Comedy writer (think Tina Fey)
WHO'DA THOUGHT
  1. Race Car Driver
  2. Sniper/Sharp Shooter
  3. FBI Agent
  4. Espionage/CIA Ops

Hunting in South Dakota

Training with the FBI
I'd be interested to hear from those who started on the path of their dream and kept with it, along with those who changed courses and came back to their dream. 


1 comment:

  1. I totally agree. I never thought I'd live out the rest of my life in Missouri....darn those Boys!

    ReplyDelete