Pages

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Diamonds Are Our New Best Friend

When I was 15, I knew that someday I would own a company, doing what, I didn't know. The responsibility, independence, and challenge of being a business owner intrigued me. Yes, I was an adult child and a nerd.


Recently Drew and I started tip-toeing into this idea. If I am going to own my own company one day, that means Drew will be co-owner, so whatever I get into, he needs to be into it just as much. I've toyed with starting a creative or communications agency, being a weekend photographer, or having "Greta's Gardening & Gift Shoppe". It would be so cool to have an organizational company to help people with my organizational awesomeness.... But, we need to think about this a little more. 


I'm very touchy about the future with benefits, getting a small business loan, learning the ropes of what others have done. Making mistakes isn't my thing (I'm a perfectionist - which sucks), so taking risks is sometimes hard for me. This is not the case when it comes to randomly jumping off cliffs, going sky diving, or choosing to run onto a baseball field in a swim suit while it's raining and go slip n' sliding on the field tarp down the first base line into home plate. Yes, that was illegal, but it was fun. I digress.


As I think about our future, I want to be able to provide for our child(ren), which includes paying for college. I'll be paying for school until 2026. One life goal is to lessen the debt burden for our kids, so how do Drew and I make a successful go of this business-ownership plan so we may provide a profitable future for the family?


Enter Mid-America Diamonds. Drew and I are now proud Wholesale Manufacturer Representatives for a company that has an amazing reputation. Mid-America is a small, successful, family-owned business that specializes in providing wholesale diamonds, precious stones, and custom designed jewelry with unique mountings and settings to jewelry stores and private individual clients throughout the Midwest. 


Need jewelry for Mother's Day, a birthday, an anniversary, Hanukkah, Christmas, or graduation? We can do that. Need a stone remounted? We can do that. Need to upgrade your wedding ring? We can do that. Want to make Grandma's old necklace into some new earrings? Yep - can do. How about some cuff links? Yes, we can do that too. Want to get rid of a diamond or sell some gold? Just say the word. We can do that for you.


We're not quitting our day jobs, we're just learning the business from two of the most talented, lovable, professional people in this world, Karen and Wayne Sullivan, owners of Mid-America. Drew and I have purchased our jewelry from the Sullivan's since 2005. Drew has known the family since 1995, and I inherited their amazingness in 2005 when Drew proposed to me. I don't think there are two better people to learn business ownership 101 from (minus Walt Walton, the best insurance salesman ever).


So if you're in the market for jewelry, Drew and I will happily meet with you. We've made 5 happy clients in the month of April! And who wants to pay retail when you can come to us for wholesale? It seems pretty simple! We're happy to serve.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Drew and Greta follow your dreams. Also do you catalogues????

    ReplyDelete